Waiting in Shenzhen for the train to Hong Kong and Ofsted had my attention…
I had brought some light things to read – that is in weight, not content, well in this instance. At Childcare Expo I had picked up a booklet from Early Years Fundamentals Ltd headlined:-
A report for the Early Years Private Voluntary
& Independent Sector
For copyright reasons, I cannot quote word for word but there were some really interesting facts about the 2017-2018 academic year.
- 1 out of every 5 inspections did not get a good or outstanding rating
- The percentage of previous ‘good’ providers could not sustain their good or get outstanding was 11%
- There was an additional 1% each term that were now inadequate
Here is a list of the bits that may help with your next inspection
» With grades of ‘Requires Improvement’ and ‘Inadequate’ were most frequently because of these reasons in descending order:-
- Poor monitoring and evaluation
- Effective planning and in relation to challenging children
- Management and suitability of staff
» Check you are using monitoring and evaluation systems on a regular basis, so you have an accurate view of:
- the quality of teaching and learning
- the progress the children are making
» Management teams need to ensure they:
- understand how to implement effective performance management systems
» Read the whole of your last inspection report and check out the other weaknesses that perhaps were not brought through to be the main reason to improve (What the setting needs to do to improve further…) and ensure these are all addressed, to ensure they don’t become the next action point at the subsequent inspection
» Questions to ask yourself to ensure you are working with external professionals:
- Are you sharing information with other providers?
- How do you try to offer a consistent learning experience for the child with other providers?
- What are you doing to strengthen your partnership with other providers?
- How are you obtaining information from other settings about what each child is learning about there?